Thursday, March 25, 2010

So how do we get out of the Box? (pt. 1)

As I stated in my first entry, Jesus is our way out. He came to show us what life outside the box looks like, and has offered to show us how to live it... step by step. Though it is not my style to present a ton of scripture in this blog, I think it is necessary to see what Jesus says about this:


"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on Religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me - watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of Grace. I wont lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."

Matthew 11:28-30 in the Message Bible


As I said before, Jesus came for many reasons... but my focus is this: He came to show us Reality, and to free us from Religion. Because of the decision that was made in the Garden, Man began a love affair with religion, and its bastard child Sin.

As I have spent time meditating on this, and asking God to help me reveal my heart here... I offer this illustration that may help:


Microsoft has designed and debuted their newest and best computer model ever. It's called MAN... and its potential is nearly limitless. As you know, a computer handles all of its functions via an Operating System such as Windows XP, Vista, etc., and the new MAN was designed to operate with the "Abundant Life" operating system. By using this combination as it was intended by Microsoft, your experience with MAN is optimal. It can do things no other computer is capable of, and it performs nearly effortlessy.

Now...... Microsoft's main competitor, Macintosh, is jealous of the success of MAN, and they want a piece of the action. They debut their own Operating System for this computer called "Religion". They are marketing geniuses, and proceed on an unprecedented campaign to promote their product. Though it is compatible with Microsoft's MAN, it lacks the proprietary advantage that the "Abundant Life" software has. In other words, Microsoft created MAN and knows it better than anyone, and their software is a perfect fit. Unfortunately, consumers are totally taken by the marketing of Macintosh's "Religion" software, and every one of these MAN computers now use it. However, the consumers are not experiencing the potential that MAN really has, and they are very frustrated.

"Religion" seems to make even the simplest of procedures very complex. So Microsoft has a solution. In fact, they knew this was a possibility from the very beginning. So, they debut the "Savior" software that has the potential to reset the computer to the "Default" settings that Microsoft designed MAN to operate out of, and return it to the "Abundant Life" operating system. But this has to be done step by step, so the "Savior" software has a tutorial function called "Spirit" that will walk the consumer through the process step by step to untangle the web that the "Religion" system has created.

Though Microsoft would love for every single consumer to override their "Religion" system with the "Savior" software, it would never force them to. They just don't do business that way, and besides... we do live in a free country, and the consumer is free to choose how they want to experience MAN for themselves. Most of them have been using MAN bound by the "Religion" system for so long now, they don't even know the potential MAN really has. "Religion" is clever in its design, and can imitate some of the successful processes that "Abundant Life" has... but always at a cost to the consumer, as "Religion" seems to require more and more effort from them. Most consumer's friends and family are using MAN this way... They see successful people and athletes using their MAN this way... they work for large companies that all promote this use of MAN to be correct... and, really, there seems to be constant demand to continue to use MAN this way, though it is not the way it was supposed to be.


Well, I am fairly knowledgeable about computers, but am certainly not an IT professional. I'm sure my example may not be perfect, so don't over think it. I just wanted to use it to introduce my main point of our Belief system being compared to an Operating System. I hope it gives us a tangible visual in this high-tech world we live in that most can relate to....





to be continued...

1 comment: